make.up
noun
1. Cosmetics generally; rouge, lipstick, mascara, etc.
2. The way in which these are applied or worn.
-phile or -phil
suffix
1. One that loves or has a strong affinity or preference for.
2. Loving; having a strong affinity or preference for.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review: Josie Maran's Argan Oil vs. Tarte's Maracuja Oil

The beauty world can't stop talking about pure, natural oils as fantastic moisturizers, including as facial moisturizers.  Put oil on your face?!  Yep.  Throw out your preconceived notions about oil being the number one enemy of your skin because this beauty trend turns out to be a fabulous addition to your regular skincare routine.

Probably the number one product to recently put natural oils on the map as skin care is Josie Maran's 100% Organic Argan Oil ($48 for 1.7oz).  You may have also heard argan oil called Moroccan oil, which has been raved about as a hair treatment for increasing shine and hydration for the past couple of years.  What makes Josie Maran's 100% Organic Argan Oil different from other retailers of Moroccan oil is that hers is entirely comprised of one ingredient: the argan oil.  With no fillers, you are getting the largest does of vitamin E and essential fatty acids possible and you can literally use it from head to toe.  It's great for restoring hair's luster (especially color treated hair) or use it on your cuticles, elbows, knees, and even as a daily facial moisturizer.  This one product launched Josie's entire cosmetic line in which every product contains argan oil.


I've been using Josie Maran's argan oil since just before Christmas of 2010 when I bought a small 0.5 oz bottle for 20% off (Sephora always gets me with those travel sizes in the register line during the holiday season).  I have to be honest that my first reaction was, "This stuff is stinky."  It doesn't smell in any sort of harsh, chemical way since it's all natural, but it definitely has a noticeable, earthy aroma.  It doesn't smell like olive oil, but it's clearly in that same family.  Luckily, the smell dissipates quickly and doesn't linger.  However, I wouldn't recommend using this in your hair before a date because I suspect your hair would hold on to the smell.  As for the texture, well, it is a lot like what you'd imagine putting olive oil on your face would be like.  However, argan oil is light in color and once you get over the initial feeling of "this is definitely oil on my face", it blends easily over your skin into a thin layer.  The product is dispensed with a standard eye dropper and you need no more than 4 drops to cover your entire face.  While the majority of the oil absorbs in 1-2 minutes (not instantly, but did you really think an oil would absorb instantly?), it does leave a sheen that if left untouched can remain for hours.  And I do mean a sheen and not a glow; we all know the difference.  I began by using this product as an over night moisturizing treatment after washing my face.  And low and behold I would awake with noticeably softer and plumper skin!  So while the odor and slow absorbtion are downers, the results are definitely noticeable and I like that this product can be used for your entire body.  I also really like the idea of using a product that is truly natural down to being one, organic ingredient.

So I was quite happy with my Argan Oil, using it every few nights.  And then Tarte launched its 100% Pure Cold Pressed Maracuja Oil ($46 for 1.7 oz and available exclusively at http://www.qvc.com/).  I resisted its initial debut, but when it received rave reviews from beauty editors and customer alike, I couldn't resist so I bought it along with the Tarte Today's Special Value.  I could not be happier with this purchase.  Tarte's Maracuja oil is everything I had hoped Argan Oil would be.

It should be noted that Maureen Kelly, the founder of Tarte Cosmetics, firmly stated that this oil is expressly made to be a nighttime facial moisturizer only.  That is fine with me because I really haven't been using the Argan oil in my hair often because of the scent.  Maracuja oil comes from a fruit, not a nut (most oils come from nuts).  Consequently, it has a pleasant, faint, sweet scent.  It's packed with essential fatty acids and tons of vitamin C, which is critical for hydration and anti-aging.  Also, this product is very light and more of a watery texture than Argan oil.  It truly does absorb completely within 1 minute.  And the results...wow!  This product delivers smooth skin and intense hydration.  I like to use it after my Philosophy Miracle Worker Retinod Pads.  I let the maracuja oil absorb and then I layer on my Hope in a Jar or Miracle Worker Moisturizer.  And this isn't just my opinion; Tarte ran several clinical studies to prove how wonderful and hard working this product is.  Click here to read the findings.

And as a bonus, Tarte's Maracuja oil arrives in the cutest woven box packaging (shown in the picture) and purple glass bottle with faux wood eye dropper that makes it perfect for gifting and/or displaying on your vanity.

If you're thinking about trying out natural oils as facial moisturizers, I highly recommend that you do.  And if you're wondering whether to go with Josie Maran's Argan Oil or Tarte's Maracuja Oil, I have to say that Maracuja oil wins hands down.        

9 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about buying the Argan Oil. I see a different brand on HSN all the time, but I will go with your recommendation. And besides, I just want to see what spell-check comes up with when I type Maracuja ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also tried both. I have oily skin, but I'm getting close to 40 so even though i don;t have wrinkles, my skin needs so help in the dullness department. Like the reviewer I started using Aragon oil first. I liked it, I really wanted to love it, but I was finding small breakouts on my face. I began using everynight on my cuicles and hands and my nails have never looked better!!! When I tried Maracuja I lovedd it. My skin looks brighter and luminious. I just put 2 drops on my fingers and pat around my eyes, especially below them. then I pat the rest of my face without adding more. No breaskouts and I have been using it since April, morning and night. And I have used it on the ends of my hair if it looks dry and it doesn't seem to make my hair oily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this review!! I had received the Argan Oil in the recent QVC TSV. I really like it! Then I noticed free shipping for the Tarte Maracuja Oil, so I purchased it too!! I've used the Argan Oil on my face as a moisturizer at night and I really like it so I'm hoping I like the Tarte Oil just as much.. I guess it wouldn't hurt to alternate each of these products and see which I like better. Who knows I might just wind up ordering both from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maracuja hands down. I have tried just about everything. I'm 65 years old and I cannot believe how it has moisturized my skin, plumped up my skin so fine lines AND deep wrinkles were improved overnight. Now after 6 days of using it my husband told me "whatever you're doing ...keep doing it." I noticed the difference but that was definitely a first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I was undecided on which oil to try, but now will get the Maracuja...but does anyone know why it was stated by the owner of Tarte that it was made for nighttime use only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The effect of vitamin C is weakened by sunlight. Maracuja has a high content of vitamin C.

      Delete
  6. I use both oils. I like Argan for my body and hair and maracuja on my face and neck every night! Both are wonderful products but I do not get the same results with argan vs. maracuja for my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am 62 and just bought a bottle of Maracuja Oil 4 days ago. I have very dry skin and have tried just about everything including Argan oil. I love the Maracuja OIl. It is light and makes my skin so soft. I use it morning and at night and them put on my moisturizer over it. I have even used it on the backs of my hands to soften them. It is working and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to said Im in love with Josie Marans argan oil it definately makes my hair smoother and brigther, but I have to say I just tried a new argan oil from Naissant and it definately does the same thing as josie marans and it is half the price$$!!!! I just got it from Amazon, it just cost me $24.99 and it bring 4oz isn't that amazing, I still love Josie Maran's but I would buy Naissant argan oil :):):)

    ReplyDelete